Do’s & Don’ts for Oral Surgery RecoverySeptember 26, 2021 2:37 am
Some of the most common types of oral surgery include:
- Complex root canal treatment
- Bone grafts
- Dental implant placement to replace missing teeth
- Certain tooth extractions
- Wisdom teeth removal
You may be worried about your recovery after oral surgery. But please don’t stress. You will be provided with detailed aftercare instructions and guidelines by your dental healthcare team to help you have a smooth recovery.
In this blog post, we provide an overview of some of the key tips we provide our patients to prepare them after oral surgery.
What to Avoid After Oral Surgery
Taking proper care of your smile after oral surgery can help minimize your recovery time and the risk of developing complications. Here are activities you SHOULDN’T do after oral surgery:
- Drinking through a straw
- Aggressively rinsing, spitting, or swishing
- Eating hard, tough, or chewy foods
- Participating in vigorous exercise
- Lifting heavy items
- Smoking or using any tobacco products
What to Do After Oral Surgery
Now that we’ve touched on what you shouldn’t do after your oral surgery, here are some tips of what you SHOULD do after oral surgery:
- Eat soft foods, such as smoothies, yogurt, eggs, bananas, applesauce, steamed veggies, mashed potatoes, and pasta
- Drink plenty of water
- Ice the outside of your cheek with a cold compress wrapped in a washcloth or dish towel for 15 to 20 minute intervals
- Elevate head with pillows when sleeping and resting
- Take it easy
- Regularly rinse mouth with warm salt water to clean surgical area
- Follow directions when taking any recommended medications
Reach Out to Our Team!
At Wedington Family Dental, we take great pride in offering gentle oral surgery as part of our comprehensive oral healthcare services in Fayetteville. To schedule an oral surgery consultation or consult with our team about any potential complications during your recovery, please contact us today.